Thursday, July 26, 2012

Carryover 2 years after treatment for repetitive falling


Last entry I spoke about carry over. I recently saw a patient who I treated 2 years ago for repeated falling. I tell her story in almost all of my classes as it was one of the first experiences that I had using Diagnostic Motion Evaluation that amazed me, here it is:

An older woman, who is an avid tennis player, had been falling on the tennis court. Her multiple falls resulted in an ankle fracture and pelvis fracture on her left side. As a result she was fearful that she would have to quit her favorite sport.

When I had seen her, I decided to perform the foot clock evaluation in the directions of 3-9 o’clock. My rationale was this; she had been falling only on the tennis court, not during her normal community ambulation. The motion in tennis that is distinctly different than walking are the lateral motion. When I had her do this action, I observed that her Right medial foot came almost completely off of the floor very soon after she began to shift her weight toward her right side. Bear in mind her injuries were on her Left and I assumed that her dysfunction would be on the Left side as well.

Based on the principle of Diagnostic Motion Evaluation, this was a closed chain activity,  therefore, my beginning observation point was just above the knee. Base on her compensation being with the first few degrees of motion, I realized that her dysfunction was somewhere at the proximal tibia. I brought her into sitting and moved her passively to determine if this was a structural or a non structural dysfunction. The dysfunction was the same and therefore was determined to be structural.

When I palpated, I found the structural dysfunction to be at the superior/medial tibia and I treated with ARMS. I re educated by facilitating her medial foot to stay on the floor as she shifted to the Right and her home program was foot clocks 3-9 with progression to side stepping and karaokes.

As I had mentioned earlier, until a few weeks ago, I had not seen her in over 2 years. I am thrilled to report that since our treatment she has not fallen on the tennis court and she continues to play consistently.

She did however, mention tripping over a step that she had not seen, so I decided to evaluate open chain Dorsiflexion and this is what I saw.


Her initial walking pattern revealed external rotation of the right foot, narrow base of support, widened arm swing and mild trendelenberg to the right.


I will post her treatment for her gait and dorsiflexion next post.