Tuesday, October 23, 2012

What the Heck is the ARMS Release Technique


What the heck is the ARMS Release Technique?

No. It is not a technique to treat someone’s arms.

ARMS is an acronym for Active Release with Manual Stability.

The ARMS release technique is a mobilization technique that utilizes the Therapy Principle that states you need to have stability in order to have mobility.

This ARMS technique evolved from: PNF developed by Maggie Knott and Dr. Herman Kabatt, Functional Mobilization developed by Gregg Johnson and used by the Institute of Physical Art, and as stated before, the Therapy principle that the human body needs to have stability in order to have mobility.

It was discovered when I was unsuccessful in mobilizing a sacral restriction on a patient using the techniques that I had been taught.

I was presenting at an inservice, I was embarrassed and flustered as no matter the technique that I tried,  I could not release that damn Right Sacral Base.  In the my moment of panic I recalled my Orthopedics Professor in PT school stating “You need to have stability in order to have mobility”.

I applied a stabilization force to this patient’s abdominal core based on PNF principles.  As my force to the patient’s abdomen increased the restriction completely released. To my shock and amazement, I did not even need to perform any other type of mobilize.

I hypothesize that restricted tissue; aka. Hypertonic tissue, dysfunctional tissue, trigger point, knotted muscle may be caused by a protective mechanism for instability elsewhere. 

I think this may be why some releases, dry needling, and injections are only temporary in their results.


To view an example of The ARMS Release Technique being performed on a finger click:

The Benefits of the ARMS Release Technique include:
  • The ARMS technique involves patient movement during the treatment.
  • It is less painful than other release techniques
  • The Patient is in control and therefore will not move in a manner that will cause them harm.
  • The patient is performing re-education and stabilization as they are releasing.
  • Because the patient is performing; exercise, neuromuscular re-education and release, 97140, 97112, and 97110 will always be appropriate to bill. Depending on the movement that the patient performs 97530, 97535, and 97116 may also be appropriate.  
  • It can be used to release any and all Connective and Nerve Tissue

When I showed this technique to a renowned PT and educator, he encouraged me to teach it to others. I have chosen to do so.