Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Simple Technique to Calming a child with autism



Treating children with autism is especially challenging. Getting a good subjective history from the patient is practically impossible therefore, Therapists must rely on observation and information from the parents and other caretakers.

I was at a social event with a family whose child is on the spectrum. She is high functioning and can become easily upset like most people with autism. On this occasion she became upset and went into the other room to calm down. This is not my area of expertise, but I had an idea on how to help her out and decided it was worth a try.

I also know that some people with Autistic Spectrum disorder feel comfortable with compression. I recall Temple Grandin's, squeeze machine that she constructed and used when she found herself becoming upset. For those of you not familiar with Temple, she is a writer, professor, expert in the cattle industry and also happens to have autism.  Although this child has tried weighted vests and blankets, they have done little to help. I am aware that her self soothing technique is climbing and were it an Olympic sport she would be a shoe in for the gold. (I actually witnessed her climb a door way once). Although compression to her trunk had been attempted, I know that compression to her wrists and hands had never been tried with  her before. My thought was to try to teach her position of manual stability on her wrist as climbing in particular requires significant stability at the wrist and hand.

I explained to her that I had a trick for feeling better that I wanted to teach her and asked if I could touch her wrist and show her. She allowed me to apply my force, which by design is gradual and non threatening and tried it herself. After a minute she was able to rejoin the party and did not have another episode of being upset for the rest of the evening.

Coincidence, I don't know. but worth further investigation for sure.