Monday, June 10, 2013

The myth of Core Stability



My linkedin account is a buzz about a post written on the Evidence Based Practice Group stating that Core Muscle training shows little affect on lower back pain. 

The author of the comment references a paper called the myth of core stability: The Myth of Core Stability.www.cpdo.net/myth_of_core_stability.doc


There seems to be a lot of misconception by the author surrounding this topic


Myth #1: Core muscles are only found the in the abdomen: Core muscles are deep 1 joint muscles whose primary function is to stabilize a joint to allow its moving muscles to work.Think about the relationship between the supraspinatus and the shoulder. If the supraspinatusis torn the shoulder cannot flex, yet our kinesiology books do not list the supraspinatus as a flexor of the shoulder.  


Myth #2: The abdominal core consists only of the Transversus Abdominus (TA): The author references only the TA when refuting this topic. The abdominal core also consists of fibers of the multifidus, psoas, pelvic floor, obliques, and likely more to be discovered. 


Myth 3: Patients should go around bracing their core in a constant state of contraction

The core should function automatically prior to motion. The following is a true story and an example of how the Abdominal core is supposed to function. I was walking down Park Avenue with my rollerblades in one hand and a cup of coffee in another. There was construction being done on a building on the corner of 35th street. There was scaffolding and noise. At the very same time a younger male was walking toward Park Ave up 35th street and neither of us saw the other person coming. We collided and he went flying off of me, my coffee didn't even spill.

He turned to me and asked "Why did you push me?"

I replied: "How could I have pushed you?, my hands are full and I didn't even see you coming". 


I went on to explain that I was a PT and it was my abdominal core bracing that caused him to ricochet off of me. It was a great comeback as he had no reply and ended our confrontation.


The take home being that the Core should fire automatically in a person and if it is not firing it needs to be facilitated and trained to do so rather than consciously be taught.