Thursday, March 6, 2014

History of the ARMS Release Technique


During my career I trained extensively to become  a good manual therapist and was having success with most of my patients.  A downside to becoming more proficient in my palpation and technique was that I created immense pain with my releases. One patient, who requires no medication for his dental work or colonoscopy, suggested I work for the government in Guantanamo Bay.  It wasn’t until I failed to help 2 patients using the techniques that I had been taught by the that I made a breakthrough and created the ARMS Release Technique.  
The first case was on a patient's sacrum that would not nutate. I knew that I was on the correct structure using the correct hand placement, but it would not release in spite of using every release technique that I had been taught.

At that moment of frustration, I heard my Orthopedics professor from PT school saying “You need to have stability in order to have mobility”. In this case my goal was mobility; maybe this sacum would not move because it lacked stability.  I knew that all core muscle are diagonally oriented as are rotators so I provided a diagonal hand placement technique and combined it with traction to the abdominal wall.

The patient’s sacrum melted underneath my fingers.  It was now completely mobile and required no further mobilization.
The second patient had a navicular bone that would not budge.  Again I tried all the techniques that I had learned without a release.   I decided to try my stabilization to the talus.  Since this is such a small surface area, I choose to use 1 finger to apply my diagonal force.

Again the restriction melted underneath my fingers.
From these clinical experiences I hypothesize that some patient’s present with restrictions as a compensation for an instability elsewhere.

This is now my release treatment of choice as I have consistently found that I gain a release of any restricted tissue, without significant pain in less than 10 seconds using this technique.

As a bonus, I am also performing neuromuscular re-education, exercise and/or therapeutic activities, while releasing.

ARMS provide you with way more bang for your valuable time and effort.