Friday, July 13, 2012

Amazing increase in AROM on a Patient with Neurological Tone


As most of you know I have found great success in my practice using Diagnostic Motion Evaluation (DME) and the ARMS technique, there are occasion where I am amazed by what I find and the result in my patient's range of motion when I apply both techniques. I was particularly surprised by this result as the patient has neurological tone secondary to Cerebral Palsy.  

The following is an example of the power of (DME), I can say with certainty that I would not have fathomed that restriction in the big toe would have such an impact on open chain dorsiflexion as it did with this patient.

I had been working with a woman who was born with a mild case of Cerebral Palsy. Upon my most recent evaluation of her walking, I determined that we need to work on Open Chain Dorsiflexion on her affected side. Her primary therapist and I filmed her performing Bilateral AROM Dorsiflexion in the open chain. The film can be found at:
We also measured goniometrically, AROM to be lacking 24 degrees Dorsiflexion on her R. ankle. 

Because of the tone in her foot and ankle, her primary therapist and I were dubious about what if any AROM we could achieve. Keeping with the principles of Diagnostic Motion Evaluation I tested PROM going from Distal to Proximal beginning with the distal hallux (big toe). I found that there were structural restrictions there and treated with ARMS, I continued to evaluate and treat the hallux for a few minutes, no longer than 3, this was the result.

To see before and after side by side copy and paste this link www.sigproed.com/res_before_after.html#neuropatient_dorsifexion

FULL ACTIVE DORSIFLEXION RIGHT EQUAL TO LEFT WITH MOBILIZATION ONLY TO THE HALLUX!!

This caused me to ponder how to differentiate between palpating tone and structural dysfunction. I came up with the following differences:

  1. Structural Restrictions will be point tender, tone will not
  2. Tone may elicit clonus, structural restrictions will not
 Home program for this patient is ankle pumps.

Her next goal is to be able to achieve open chain ankle circles. Stay tuned, I will be posting her 2 week follow up next week.