Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Why I think Pilates is effective




I had mentioned in my last entry about my lower back patient finding benefit with Pilates exercise (please note that this patient was performing supervised exercise using Pilates equipment).

 As a result a question was raised:

"What is it about the Pilates method that makes it beneficial for some Orthopedic patients?"

My theory is that the springs and the command/manual contact provided by the instructor provide both traction and approximation. Traction and approximation are theorized to provide irradiation into the core.

Traction decreases pain and elicits proximal stability

Approximation increases muscle recruitment and proprioception into the joint.

Many of the Pilates exercise incorporate rotation, particularly of hips. When you look at the kinesiology of muscles that are know to be core muscles, their action is rotation.

Lastly Plilates classes are one hour in length and in my experience the number of patient's that spend a dedicated hour on stability exercises are few.

Similar to any other profession there are excellent instructors and not so excellent instructors, it is vital that any person particularly a patient find a qualified instructor.








I