Thursday, June 17, 2010

Grandpa

After almost 2 months of rehab status post hip replacement, my family has decided, against the advice of the facility, to discharge my grandfather. We will all be traveling to my home so that I can provide services with home health to try to restore his functioning.

His status has deteriorated slowly with him choosing to use a cane last fall and then came the fall on ice at his home in Vermont which led to his hip replacement surgery 4/29/2010. His recovery has been slow, but he is now walking 100 to 120 feet using a rolling walker, stairs are a min to mod assist with 1 handrail and cane. Sit to stand transfers are independent, bed mobility and transfers, not pretty but independent as well. Medically he is in good health for his 82 years, he had a right THR about 12 years ago and has a 30 year history of Low Back pathology including stenosis.

His chief complaints are as follows:
1. Shaking occasionally with standing, walking and stairs.
2. Decreased ability to ambulate distances.
3. Decreased ability to negotiate stairs.
4

I hope to post video of his treatment and progress, so stay tuned.

Wish me good luck!!