Saturday, June 19, 2010

Treatment Day 5

For today's session I have made sure that the mechanics at his hip pelvis and sacrum are working as they should and we are reinforcing glut medius and minimus strengthening in supine with hip abduction. To reinforce hip extension we are performing bilateral bridging.

To work on proper use of the rolling walker, I have bound his arms so that the walker is within a forearms distance to reinforce advancing the walker with his legs and not his arms. I have also used Mc Connell tape to his right quad to reinforce extension.

I positioned him at the corner of our deck at home and had him hold onto each side rail with the walker in front of him to reinforce an upright rather than forward flexed posture. With my facilitating left knee extension and resisting at the outer left heel maintain a neutral foot we worked on taking a step with the right foot.

We are all able to notice progress in my grandfather's level of independence. He is walking further, 1/4 of a city block independently. He is able to go up and down stairs with supervision and even tried taking a few steps with a straight cane.

Tomorrow, I hope to work in prone and continue to get him weight bearing with proper mechanics on his left leg.